Saturday, December 6, 2014

Physical Therapy: It Starts

Physical Therapy time is now! I choose a convenient place close by with a lot of positive "Yelp" reviews. Day 1 starts with me on crutches, on my boot. My PT massages my bare foot with lotion and moves the toe around. The massage is incredible. I am given a few basic stretches to start which require 100% effort and focus. My foot is so weak it can barely perform.

Calf stretch
Dorsiflexion up and down
Ankle circles both ways
Ankle dorsiflex side to side
Toe stretches back and forth (Gently)

My PT says the only chance of re-rupturing the tendon would be to crank the big toe down to quick and forcefully. I can barely move it to stretch down, and it basically cannot curl down. I can manually stretch the toe towards my shin, but it doesn't flex at all on it's own. The toe is extremely stiff. It's really nerve-wracking, but I realize I have only just begun!


1 comment:

  1. please let me know how you are now. I had the same surgery after a kitchen knife fell on my foot cutting my EHL. I'm 6 weeks past the surgery and just started PT. I have almost no movement of my toe and can only move my foot about 1/2 inch in each direction. Was this similar for you? how long did your PT last? did you get back to normal?

    ReplyDelete