Monday, March 17, 2014

Post-Surgery: "The Morning After"


3/1/14

Over 24 hours later:

The local anesthetic from surgery has finally worn off, and Heeeyyy, wait-- why does it feel like my foot doth exploded? Without any exaggeration, it feels like my foot, ankle, and heel are broken. I assume that's not normal, considering these areas have nothing to do with the area that was operated on. I try to tough it out, but the Percocet I was prescribed is doing absolutely nothing.

I shuffle back to the ER for assessment. I dry heave several times into an empty trashcan  while I wait, and The Podiatrist who is on-call, says that my foot was perhaps "over-wrapped", and "too snug" within the boot.

I dry heave once more.

He unwraps my entire foot. It feels extremely fragile and vulnerable. Even the stagnant hospital air feels too windy. Feeling this exposed makes me extremely nervous! He asks me to wiggle it. It doesn't budge. The power I felt emerging from surgery is out the window, and I feel completely discouraged. Ugh, I immediately want my swaddle my poor footsie and sing to it the softest of lullabies!

Shockingly, there is still barely any visible swelling in the foot. Although it feels crushed, and is extremely sensitive to the slightest graze of a touch. I am re-wrapped with approximately 50% LESS bandaging, and am put into a basic splint, just like the pre-surgery splint. The relief is instantaneous! I am pissed that foot had to endure this "speed bump", but HAPPY that it's over. I can't wait to hurry home to my pillow kingdom.

Despite feeling this way, I think my toe looks very regal, and resolute in it's disposition.. no? The markings on it are just ink from being marked before surgery. The only stitches/incisions are on the actual foot.

On a side note-- I wonder if the location of an EHL laceration has any effect on it's recovery. For example: cut at the knuckle/joint of the toe VS. mid foot. Hmm. I must remember to ask this next time.

2 comments:

  1. Hi! I know it’s been a few years but there still is very little online about this surgery. I just had it too, and stumbled upon your blog but it looks like you never finished. Just wondering how your progress went? Are you back to norm;? When were you able to wear regular shoes? Heels? This sucks. Hopefully you can help shed some light on the journey. I’m only at a week and a half and my doc is elusive with recovery details. Thanks in advance!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi. I had the same procedure 24 days ago. Still non weight bearing- starting physio in 4 days. It's been a real challenge. How is your recovery going?

    ReplyDelete